Wednesday, July 30, 2008

THE CAT: OR, HOW I LOST ETERNITY by Jutta Richter


As she walks to school each morning, eight-year-old Christine meets an old white cat. The cat strikes up a conversation with her on each occasion, making Christine late for school. Christine is reprimanded for her tardiness and assigned lines as punishment, but at the cat’s urging, she does not complete them exactly as assigned. Over time, Christine becomes increasingly aware of the cat’s self-centeredness, and decides that she will not speak to her anymore.

This book was a little bit deep for me. I read it to myself, then had other members of my family read it to see what it meant to them. None of us were entirely sure about the whole “how I lost eternity” concept. The cat seems critical of the teachings of the church, but then Christine rejects the cat. So I will admit to being stumped on this one. Maybe I should have an eight-year-old read it and tell me what it means. ☺

No comments: